Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Bye-Bye Bottle?

Julia had her one year check up a few weeks ago and she has grown like a weed! She is now in the 50th percentile in all areas. That is a lot higher than the 12th percentile, which she was in the past. 
We found a great new Doctor and everything was going great until...
"Can she clap? Yes. She picks up food? Yes. Talking? Yes. Walking? Yes. Oh, and she no longer takes a bottle right?"
GULP! 
I don't know how this one snuck up on me. I guess it's been a while since I read a parenting book. How in the world do I get her off the bottle? Was your baby really not taking a bottle at 1?
Your advice is needed and appreciated. 

11 comments:

Kandas said...

You are such a cute mom!! Sorry I don't really have any advice, but I think you are so funny!

Auger Family said...

I just would switch right to a sippy cup at 1 with the whole milk. It was one big change for my kids but I liked that rather than a sippy and then whole milk. It took my kids about three days to get used to the change and then they didn't even ask for the bottle. Good luck.

Ty, Steph, Bris, Big T said...

So, I'm not a mom yet, but this is what my mom did for all six of us, and it worked great. Take Julia with you and throw away all her bottles (or just the ones you want to get rid of). Then, sit and watch as the garbage man picks up the bottles and takes them away! Then, you can remind her later that it was the garbage man's fault that her bottles are gone. I only cried a day or so, but not bad eh? Good luck! Hope you guys are doing great!

MJ said...

Um, yeah...I guess I didn't realize I needed to make that change right now either? Aaron still takes a bottle...I haven't had his 1 year yet, but wow! I guess I need to start weening him too.

Meagan said...

I was lucky... sort of. Since Olivia would never take a bottle, I never had to go through this. It made for a tiresome 12 months, but the no-transition part was a breeze! Ha ha.

Switch her to a sippy and just don't look back. After a day or two she'll be used to a sippy and forget all about the bottle. Just don't give in... not even if she cries!

Jeff. Nikki. Keizya. Reila. said...

We're in the process right now. We've stopped giving her a bottle just during lunch and encouraging her drink from a cup instead, usually there's still formula in it though since she's not one yet. After a week, we're going to stop giving her a breakfast bottle, and then by the time she's one, in 3 weeks, she should be down to just a dinner bottle which will probably be the hardest one. So far, she's doing ok and doesn't even care that she doesn't have a bottle at lunch. Just wean her down slowly and she'll probably adjust quicker than you think. And no worries, that does NOT make you a bad mom! I think you're an amazing mom, so don't think for even one second that something that silly would make you a bad one. Love you Ash and I miss you lots!

Jeff. Nikki. Keizya. Reila. said...

oh yeah. I think we're gonna keep letting her practice with the cup instead of the sippy cuz it's just like another bottle. We don't drink away from the table anyway, so why not let her practice and not have to worry about weaning her off the sippy too. Just an idea...we're definitely giving it a try.

A New Life Student said...

Thank you for the advice...Okay, so maybe I need to clarify. Julia takes a sippy cup at meals with juice or water in it. She has been on whole milk in her bottle for a while now. She has been getting two bottles a day, one at nap time and one at bed time.
So my question is do I give her a sippy instead of the bottle for nap and bed time? Or, do I just replace the juice with milk for meals and forget about nap and bedtime feedings??

Auger Family said...

My kids get a sippy at nap and bed time. I try and make them drink it before they go down and then brush teeth and then lay in beds. This works for Boston but Lillie wants it in bed so I just give it to her. Probably not the best choice but it works for us and they both sleep good at naps and bed. Does that answer your question?

A New Life Student said...

Perfect. That's what I needed to know. Thanks Katie!
PS
She is off the bottle and onto the sippy already! She threw one minor fit but switched just fine.

Wilkinson Family said...

Hi, I am glad you found my blog! Feel free to check back any time! We welcome all visitors! Your little girl is so cute! I thought our bottle transition would be a horror but it was so easy compared to what I was imagining! Good luck!