Monday, November 22, 2010

Siblings

Today was yet another doctor appointment and I decided to bring Julia along this time. We recently started grief counseling because of the lack of support groups in our area (thankfully I don't have to lay on a couch or anything). Our counselor suggested taking Julia to the doctor with me this week since Travis was out of town and I had to brave the appointment alone. I haven't taken her to any of our appointments since Isaac was diagnosed. Even though we are constantly talking to her about her baby brother and she knows he is part of our family, the mother in me wants nothing more than to protect her from all of this. I don't want her to know the pain and grief that I feeling and I certainly don't want her to feel it either. However, I know how perceptive little ones are. She is no dummy and she is certainly aware of everything that's going on.

Before we left to the doctor I explained to Julia where we were going and what was going to happen. I told her that we were going to listen to Isaac's heartbeat and see how much he weighs. I also had to prepare her, just like I try to prepare myself, that because his heart is "sick" it may have stopped beating and he might be already in heaven. "With Jesus?" she asked. Which made me smile and realize she has been listening.

Once we were at the doctor, we started like always with the ultrasound. I told the ultrasound tech I wanted to talk Julia through it and show her her little brother. Thankfully right away we heard that same strong heartbeat we hear week after week. Julia knew right away what the sound was and so excited. We showed her his feet and hands and she carefully studied the screen. After a few minutes, she was back in her chair and watching Dora on my phone. I know it didn't last long but I am hoping these moments make an impact on her. It surely made an impact on me. It was a wonderful experience and so different then my past ultrasounds when the tech and I sat in silence for 45 minutes and she just handed me tissue after tissue to stop the tears from streaming down my face. This time, I was excited and proud that I had shared Isaac's greatness with Julia.

Isaac is doing much better this week. The fluid around him is within normal range and he is still growing. Prayers are being answered! He truly is a blessing and I know I always say it, but he is the definition of a miracle. We are lucky and blessed to have him and he is lucky to have Julia as a sister. I try not to think of all the things they won't be able to do together here on this earth because I know their relationship will go way beyond this life. I also know how close children are to the veil and in some ways I believe she is already closer to him than I will ever know.


10 comments:

Jamie said...

ash, you are honestly just the most amazing mother. i stand in awe at your strength and wisdom. julia and isaac are both so blessed to have you as their mommy. prayers are indeed being answered for that precious little miracle baby of yours. i can't wait to spend time with you tomorrow, love you.

Kevin, Amber & Jake said...

i love your posts updating all of us on little isaac. what strength you have as a mother! he is such a fighter! what a neat experience you and julia got to share! miss you!

Danielle said...

Goosebumps. That all I can say. What an amazing experience you shared together. You know I will go with you any time you need some moral support...love you girl!

Jill said...

Im glad to hear the fluid is within normal range thats exciting news! And let me know if you ever need me to watch Julia for you, now that i have a yard camdon is always in need of a playmate!

Cristi Benedict said...

I enjoyed reading this post. Glad that things seems to be going well with Issac. You are wonderful Ashley! XOXO

Jeff. Nikki. Keizya. Reila. said...

Oh Ash I'm so glad Julia gets to share those special moments with you :) I bet it will probably ease the pain some :) Abbie had her kids with her when she found out she had miscarried and they comforted her so much...it's so true, kids are closer to the veil than we think. I love that prayers are being answered, and we continue to pray for you, Trav, Julie and baby Isaac each night. Thanks for the update Ashey, we look forward to hearing that his heart keeps beating each week :) Love you much Ash!

Ashley Wilson said...

I love getting these updates. I need to start preparing myself a little more before reading them though cus I always tear up! Your so good at sharing your thoughts and emotions, the way you write and word things really touches people. Your kids are SO lucky to have you as their mommy.

Lillie Burrows said...

Ashley,
I am so glad Julia was able to come with you this time. You have the right perspective and teach all of us a great lesson: what we lack is so small in the big picture of eternity. I love you, Friend.
Thank you for being you!
Love,
L

Whitnee said...

Ash, you know I love you so much and think you are such a wonderful person, but I seriously am considering to stop reading your blog......it always ends in a sobfest! :) JK.....I would never quit. You inspire me way to much and I need it!

Katie said...

Hey Ashley. I just read your blog for the first time in a long time and want you to know what a strong impression it has made on me. You and your husband are very sweet and very strong. Your little girl is darling and your little boy-as you know-is and will continue to be such a blessing in your lives. I am impressed by your strength and your faith. I will keep you guys in my prayers but I'm happy to hear that things were better this week. I know from experience that week by week, that is all you can ask for. Very best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy!