Everything was going great. We had dinner and the kids were all playing and having fun. After about an hour, Camdon started to look kind of tired and just wasn't his happy self. I knew it was around his bed time so I decided I would read him some books and just let him settle down. I laid him down on my bed to change his diaper and suddenly, his eyes rolled in the back of his head, he stopped breathing and he started convulsing. This was the scariest moment in my entire life. My heart stopped.
I picked him up in my arms and ran to Travis, who was working in the yard. I opened the door and yelled for him to call 911. I looked back down at Camdon who was no longer convulsing but was limp and lifeless in my arms. His lips were completely blue, his hands were blue, and even his feet were blue. I ran him back to my room, away from the other children and laid him on the floor. I opened his mouth and checked to see if he was choking and there was nothing. He was still blue, not breathing and non-responsive. I thought in that moment that this child was dying right there in front of me. I then started to pray. I prayed like I have never prayed before. I begged and pleaded Heavenly Father for help. And suddenly in that moment, he took a small breath.
His color started to come back but he was still not responding and was having trouble breathing. I tilted his head back and started CPR. I gave him two breaths and started chest compressions. It then dawned on me that I didn't know CPR. How could I not know CPR? I had taken a class years ago but I didn't know if my hands were in the right place. How many compressions to how many breaths? How hard do I press?
I took the phone from Travis and begged the dispatcher to help me. By this time little Camdon was doing better. The dispatcher helped me check his vitals by telling her each time his little heart was beating. Counting the times his chest was rising and falling. CPR was no longer necessary but he still needed immediate help. I can't tell you how long those minutes were waiting and waiting for help. Travis and I continued to pray.
Finally, after what seemed like a lifetime, an officer walked into the room. Camdon was still unconscious and had very shallow breathing. He started asking questions, taking his pulse and he pinched the back of Camdon's arm to see if he would respond, no response. It took a few more minutes for the paramedics to come. Once they were there, they finally got Camdon to open his eyes once. I can't tell you the relief I had to see those beautiful blue eyes open as they called his name.
They took him in the ambulance and game him oxygen, tried to get an iv in him and took his temperature and blood pressure. The lights and sirens went on, and off we went. I was absolutely hysterical. But thankfully on our way to the hospital, he started to do much better. He was somewhat awake and responding better. I can't tell you all the things that were going on in my head. Did I do something wrong? Did he put something in his mouth when I wasn't looking? Did I feed him something I wasn't supposed to?.....Will his parents ever forgive me?
Travis on the other hand was trying to get ahold of Camdons parents, while consoling two scared little 2 year olds. I kept thinking of his parents getting that awful phone call that every single parent dreads. They were in the middle of dinner when they got the call and immediately drove to the hospital. They ended up beating the ambulance there and the hospital staff turned them away telling them they didn't have an ambulance coming there. They frantically drove across the street to a 24 hour care center only to find no ambulance. They couldn't find their son. They called back for a second address and that one, led them to a cemetery! Can you even imagine driving everywhere trying to find your child and ending up at a cemetery? Thankfully, they were led them back to the hospital and they found Camdon.
Camdon had a febrile seizure, which is fairly common in young children. A child's fever spikes at such a fast rate and it causes them to have a seizure. I had definitely heard of this and had even been warned about it when Julia had RSV but what I wasn't aware of, is that the seizure can also cause children to stop breathing. That is what happened to Camdon. He was thankfully fine and after X-rays, tests and being poked and prodded a MILLION times, the poor thing was released that same night.
My entire point of telling this story is not only to tell you I witnessed the amazing power of prayer that night, but to encourage others to become CPR certified. I can't begin to tell you the terrible feeling of having another person's life (let alone someone else's baby) in your hands and you don't know what to do. It is a moment I have replayed over and over in my head. I am ashamed that I didn't take another class to stay certified. You better believe I am signed up for one now. I encourage everyone to do the same. Almost every city offers a class and you never know when you will need that knowledge. The 30 dollars you might spend on taking the class, is definitely worth a life.
I am so glad Camdon is okay and I am eternally grateful that we had the happy ending that we did. I love that little boy so much and my heart and prayers go out to him and his wonderful parents who had the scare of a lifetime. Love you guys!
10 comments:
Wow!!! I cannot imagine what that must have been like!!! You are so right about cpr. Never know when you are going to need it. I am soooo going to take a class!!
Ahhh, that is sooo scary!!! I'm taking baby saver next month and I promise I'll stay certified!!!
Thanks for sharing and you did the right thing! They are lucky you were able to think on your feet!
Well, now that im bawlling my eyes out...... You are amazing Ash. It just goes to show how important as mothers to be worthy of asking for guidence in a prayer and worthy to have that spirit there to help us. Worthiness is a big responsiblity, even in the event of saving a life. And you did it...you are so great. I love you. You had me paneked and crying... but you pulled through, thank you! I am CPR certified, but in an actual event where i'd need to use it, im scared that i'll freeze and forget what to do, but its so important to be CERTIFIED!! i agree with you on that one. I think you did great, prayer is an every day miracle. That is an amazing story and you did everything right. I love you. Hugs to you and Travis for doing the right thing. That cemetary part....WOW are you kidding me!! HELLO!!! Love you Ash, you are such a good example to me!
That is the scariest thing ever! You win the best babysitter award! I would have been freaking out for sure. I am cpr certified and have been for years but I know if something like that happened with Zander or a friends child I would be a basket case!good job ash! And I'm glad Camdon is ok!
Oh my gosh I am bawling! YOu and Travis really are amazing people and prayer truly does work.
Are you kidding me? My heart stopped just reading your post. I'm so glad everything turned out ok. I took a CPR class this last spring that was required for high school coaching, but reading your post makes me feel like I need another one! I'm sure your story will inspire others, including myself, to go out and get certified.
I seriously started to get misty eyed there. Thanks again for being so amazing that night. Seriously when you take that class let me know!
Oh my GOSH!!! The second you described what he did when you laid him on the bed...i KNEW instantly he had a seizure. That was what Cole's seizures looked like (eyes rolling back in his head) when he first started having them. That is SO SCARY!!!!! I am glad everything is ok. Now...I need to sign up for a class.
Ash, oh my goodness! What a scary story. This makes me think a lot about things I should re-learn before ours is born. That is something I never want to deal with.
Good thing we have prayer and know we can do that at any time and it always works!!
Wow!! You definitely should not feel ashamed, you should feel proud! You saved the little guys life! That definitely inspired me and I'm going to look into classes tomorrow! Thanks for sharing that amazing story Ash, and good job! You definitely deserve babysitter of the year after that! I hope I never have to experience a situation like that but it just goes to show that it can happen to anyone at anytime!!
Post a Comment