Sunday, June 22, 2008

Allergic?

About two weeks ago Julia started turning onto her stomach as soon as she was laid into her crib to sleep. She would imedately cry and want to be flipped back over but within minutes she was back on her tummy! She went from sleeping through the night to waking up 4 or 5 times! I was definitely not use to this, so I set off to Babies R Us to find a solution. I ended up buying a sleeping wedge that would keep her on her back. It seemed to help a little but she was still having trouble sleeping. I decided to start her on a little bit of rice cereal. She loved it and seemed to be doing great with it.
However, sometime in the last couple of weeks she started getting a rash. Little red bumps all over her neck, back and a little on her tummy. It looked like a heat rash so I just tried keeping her cool and was watching it closely. Once it started to get worse and spread, I took her to the Doctor. He told me it looked like prickly heat and told me to put lotion on it. He was asking if she has been in the heat a lot or was being laid on any weird material. My mind went to the wedge which is a nylon material. He told me he was sure that was the cause and to get rid of the wedge. Goodbye wedge, hello sleepless nights.
Well, the rash didn't seem to get any better until one morning it looked great, almost all gone. I was relieved and figured it had just taken some time to get better. However, the next morning it was worse than ever! It had spread to her face and up around her eyes. I was stumped. I hadn't changed detergents, soaps, we hadn't been in the heat, and she wasn't sleeping on the wedge! I finally realized the night before it cleared up, she didn't eat any rice cereal. I think she is allergic to rice cereal! I have been reading a ton of information on the internet and if this is what caused the rash, she is most likely allergic to soy, wheat and barley. Yikes! This will call for a major life style change.
We are still in the process of elimination and once the rash is completely gone, we will feed her cereal once to see what happens before they do an allergy test. Does anyone know about food allergies? Could this really be the cause of the rash? S.O.S!

7 comments:

Meagan said...

Oh no! If she does have allergies to rice and all those other foods, I am so sorry. Hopefully that isn't it, right? I don't know much about allergies, but I have a couple of friends that have kids with allergies to all sorts of stuff, like gluten (wheat type foods), eggs, milk, nuts, soy etc. So, I could get some info for you, if that is the case. Good luck!

The Tews said...

A wedgie, rash, and no sleep? You guys have had a rough week! I have read that most kids outgrow most childhood allergies....so maybe her little body just isn't liking the rice cereal at the moment. She is just a sensitive soul--inside and out! : )

Nick and Amera said...

Oh the lovely mysteries of babies!!! I hope things turn out ok for little Julia! She is too cute for troubled times like this! I wonder if her body is just too busy getting used to the new adjustment of cereal or if there really is an allergy there. I hope you get things figured out soon! All the new stuff like this comes with trial and error, its hard to always tell whats going on, but your a good loving mommy and your doing so well, just keep up the hard work and efforts and things will go great for julia. McCoy used to break out into little rashes as he'd first get used to something, but he's outgrown that. HOpefully thats all it is for Julia! Im sorry I missed club! No, you girls didnt scare me off, of course not! Nicks car broke down on the freeway on the way to school, so i had to go get him and get our car fixed!! yikes!!! Hey, email me your number and email.....we should get together and play sometime!! sorry about the long response! Love ya!
anjarvis06@hotmail.com

Robinson's said...

Ash that is awful I can't even imagine if it really is food allergies! Kamrey I believe is allergic to carpet it I get her skin on the carpet she gets bumps. So I always have to keep her on a blanket. Well I hope you figure it out!

MJ said...

EEK! What a frustrating mystery. I hope it all is solved soon enough. Poor Julia. I haven't tried Aaron on rice cereal yet, but the day is soon approaching...if he gets a rash I will know who to turn to. Good luck!

Jeff. Nikki. Keizya. Reila. said...

Ashey, thanks so much for letting Keizya and me come visit. It was so much fun! Not to mention the secret goodies we got to indulge in! You are the bestest friend ever! I can only hope that Keizya has a friend like you've been to me. You are truly my forever friend, even if we aren't sealed in the temple! I loved your home, seeing Julia and her new developments, and especially getting to catch up with you some more! I'm so glad you love it up there and that you're so close to Beanie Furr! Give your family a big hug for me k! Keep us posted on the allergies, and good luck! Love ya Ashey! ~Wik

Alisa said...

Thats the worst. I bet she will grow out of what ever it may be. Hope you guys are doing good and we really need to get together for lunch sometime. I will call you.