Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Flu Strikes

For those of you who don't know, I have been a paranoid freak about not getting Julia sick. I have not taken her out in public once and don't plan on it until she is six weeks old to the day, just like doctors orders. I have turned down visitors if they have a smidgin of a sniffle or cough. I know way too many babies with rsv and according to my labor and delivery nurse it is the worst rsv season for the Salt Lake valley in five years. One bad story of a baby who spent months in Primary Children's Hospital from a sick visitor coming over was all it took for me. I am on guard with hand sanitizer in every corner of my house. A little much I know but I can't help it, my worrying Mother's genes are instilled in me.

So Sunday night Travis came home from Las Vegas and Julia and I were so happy to see him. Let's just say we each got a lot of kisses! Monday morning, Travis wakes up with the terrible flu. I panicked of course and made a bed for him down on the couch. I set up his lap top and gave him reading material to make sure he didn't need anything from up stairs where Julia and I would be hiding out.

Well two days later and he keeps getting worse. In four and a half years of marriage I have never seen him so sick. Poor guy went to the doctor today and they ended up giving him two IVs. They took some blood to make sure it isn't a bacterial infection and the doctor said because he was so sick he needed to come back in the morning. I feel so bad for him, especially because I haven't been able to take care of him like I want to. I have kept Julia upstairs for two days straight and I am just praying we don't get it. He is also so worried about Julia and is asking me constantly how she is doing.

I am just hoping that tomorrow he might feel a little better and we can all put this past us! I won't lie not only do I miss being around him, I miss his help with the baby! It's been a rough week for the Millers but this to shall pass.

12 comments:

Tyler said...

Oh, Ash... I am SO sorry! That is horrible. You are smart, though. I kept Olivia away from everyone, too and I was glad that I did. I've been more relaxed lately, and now I am paying for it 'cause she is SICK! She has a cough and had a fever of almost 102 last night. UGH.

So, keep her away from sickies and inside as much as possible. Hey, Olivia is almost 4 months. I know I can't keep her a hermit forever, so I figure I'm lucky she lasted this long.

But, I am constantly worried now. I wake up about 20 times a night to check on her.

Josee said...

HEy Ash,
Im so sorry about Travis! I hope he gets feeling better soon and that you and julia stay healthy. It'a good you are extra causious with julia, I still am with Braylee and she is almost two. It's just not worth it to chance those little ones getting sick. Good luck with everything. Julia is so cute!!!! Lets just hope this sick season passes soon..

Sam and Lacey said...

Ash-
It looks like you are doing great too. I was just remembering Sadie Howkins are sophmore year. That was a blast. Thanks for commenting. Your baby girl Julia is adorable! I mean it she is gorgeous. Well, lets keep in touch. I hope you don't mind me adding you to my list so I don't lose your site

Nick and Amera said...

We know how you feel, we were all struck with the flu bug a few weeks back! Its not fun at all. YOu sound like your doing everything righ for little Julia, just keep her out of harms way and Im sure she'll be fine. Its scary when it comes to being sick and having babies around. But Julia has alll the love in the world from her 2 great parents so she has a good chance of staying healthy! We hope that things only get better from this point on. After things get healthy around your house and the weather warms up, take Little Julia out for a walk for some fresh air. But I like you didnt take McCoy out for a good 6 weeks, maybe even 7 or 8 weeks down the road! Good luck with everything!

J and Stac said...

Ash, Oh my heck that story makes me so sad! Tell Trav that I hope he gets feelin better soon! You are such a great mom....reminds me of your mother! I am sad that Trav is so sick and that you can't be with him! That SUCKS! I know you miss him down in the basement:) but you gotta keep baby Julia healthy! Hopefully he will get feelin better soon! I have not been sick so can I have a pass to come see baby Julia? :)

Love, Blackett

J and Stac said...

Hey I forgot to ask, how is your other baby doing? Is Kelso being good with the new baby? I was checking his chart the other day to make sure nothing has happened to him while I was out!

Anonymous said...

hope trav is doing better!

good luck...don't get sick!!!

Cody and Nikell said...

Poor Travis! Hopefully Julia really doesn't get sick. That would be real bad. Crew hasn't really been sick ever. Maybe a runny nose. Noah on the other hand....
Sick kids are the worst!

Mitchell Family said...

So not fun! You are smart to do what you can by keeping her away. My kids seem to be sick way too often. Trey got rsv a few weeks ago, fortunately he wasn't hospitalized. Hope Travis gets feeling better!

Wendi said...

So sad! Tell Trav that I hope he gets feeling better. Let me know when you can finally get out of the house and we will do lunch or something.

Wendi

Tyler said...

Ash... keep doing whatever you can to keep her from getting sick! We just got back from the after-hours clinic. Olivia has an ear infection! Sad, huh? It was a bad night (see my blog for the full story, if you want to read it).

That's what I get for letting my guard down, I guess. But I can't be a hermit forever!! ARGH!

Carlie and Ryan Skinner said...

hope travis gets better soon. the flu is NO FUN especially if the baby gets it. we work in the nursery and Dane got the flu from one of our kids so we all spent the night before thanksgiving in the E.R. and thanksgiving day in the hospital. it was one of the scariest things in my life this far. now i have sanitizers on every counter in our house and in my purse. the flu season has been really bad in arizona too!

good luck!!